I’m huge music fan, and it wasn’t long ago that everywhere I drove, I’d have the music blasting in the car. But now, I can’t remember the last time I listened to music in the car.
What replaced the music? Podcasts.
I’m not the only one. Podcasts have taken off over the last couple years (or have seen a resurgence depending on who you talk to). Just take a look at some numbers from the Pew Research Center State of the News Media 2015 report:
- Listeners of a podcast in the last month have almost doubled since 2008 - 17% (up from 9%).
- One-third (33%) of all Americans 12 and older have listened to at least one podcast.
- Podcast awareness has more than double since 2006 - 49% (up from 22%).
- Publicly available data indicate a steady rise in number of active podcasts and number of download requests over the past three years.
- Mobile devices are the preferred way to listen to podcasts.